Sunday, May 1, 2011

White Sands

White Sands by Tom Whitney Photography
White Sands, a photo by Tom Whitney Photography on Flickr.
New Mexico, USA

Website

We took a family "Road Trip" vacation a la the Griswolds a few years ago and one of our stops was White Sands New Mexico - in August. As you can see from the complete lack of shadows that we were there at midday and the light was as harsh as it could be. Oh, and it was HOT!

The biggest challenge here was actually the exposure. I was using a polarizer, so I could knock the light down a little. Once I got the composition that I was looking for (particularly the little "crater" in the lower left), I set the aperture for f/10 in aperture priority and took a few shots.
I knew I got it right when I pulled it up in Lightroom and saw the light tan color and the texture of the sand. When you look at it close up it is really light tan as opposed to white. It's only when you back away that it looks so white. In fact, you can see that the dunes on the horizon are much whiter than the foreground.

Did I mention that it was HOT?

Keep shooting,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment